Vintage Season Response

Vintage Season by C. L. Moore is very clever because of the style it chooses to tell its story in. While reading the story, I got a film noire type of narrative. It's not told in the first person like many film noire stories of the time, but the language it uses and even Oliver's sleuthing in the story all harken back to films like Casablanca. It's also very visual, describing every character with the most detail I've caught in a story in a while. And it's a product of its time with the narrative and the descriptions. I love old cinema so the style and tone kept me engaged.

At first I thought the vacationers were going to be aliens, but it subverted my expectations by having them be time-travelers, which I found to be more interesting. I was also cautious that Moore might take a time-travel story in the wrong direction, but the time-travel itself wasn't a major factor in the story. It's more just a piece of world-building, and I think not focusing on time-travel is the best way to incorporate it into any story. I'm impressed for a story from the 1940's.

The film noire style mixed with a futuristic narrative makes for a very interesting dynamic. It reminds me of Tomorrowland from Disneyland and Walt Disney World and Discoveryland from Disneyland Paris. A more fantastical approach into looking into the future rather than a scientific approach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magicians Response

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Response

The Ocean at the End of the Lane Response