I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Response

I can't believe that whole story was only nine pages long. There's so much content in this story that could've lent itself to a much longer runtime. The whole plot is very one-note, which isn't a bad thing. Limitation is often the best way of creating, after all.

Now onto the actual story. It wasn't as weird as I originally thought. It's basically like Saw except the "mastermind" is a sentient computer. A lot of concepts in this story are also interesting: immortality, transfiguration, the world itself. Sci-Fi is great at building worlds, so I'm not surprised.

One of the themes of this story is the ability of sentience. One of the characters, Ted, has a dream about if AM had legs and other human desires. Ted concludes that AM has such a grudge on humanity because he was created to be just as sentient as humans. But one thing AM can't do is be creative (or in other words, I believe he means have passions like cooking, woodworking, be an artist, etc.). If you think about it, that is a big thing that sets us apart from animals. Animals aren't cognitive enough to know what their passions are. I feel bad for AM in that regard. You're a robot who can think and reason exactly like humans, but you just exist. You can't figure out what you're passionate about.

I'm not exactly sure how to translate that theme to our world, but it's still an interesting thought to have in your mind. It's more a question of philosophy, psychology, and existentialism. Things I think about almost every day. This is a good story for me. I highly recommend you read this (and it's short too)!

Comments

  1. Great post! You made some very interesting points in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Magicians Response

The Ocean at the End of the Lane Response