The Aquatic Uncle Response

From a writing perspective, I believe separating and writing to genres is vital. Audiences have set expectations from certain genres like Horror, Sci-Fi, etc. so writers have to lay down the ground rules of those genres, then they can choose to subvert them if they wish. However, as an audience member, I rarely pay attention to what genre I'm being exposed to. I know that's just a "me" thing though.

The Aquatic Uncle has elements of a family drama and historical fiction. They seem like they can't go well together, but honestly, I kind of enjoyed reading through this story. Mainly because I was concerned about the characters. This story may not even need to be set back in the time when fish grew legs and it would still work. So I would still label this as a family drama story.

I would say I wasn't affected by the two genres merging because one was much more dominant than the other. And again I was only paying attention to the characters, so the strange genre-merging didn't throw me off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magicians Response

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Response

The Ocean at the End of the Lane Response