I Live With You Response

To start, frankly, I'm lost. A lot of things happen and the pronouns "I" and "you" show up everywhere. I think "I" and "you" are the same person, being the reader? Or it could be some crazy stalker lady who's obsessed with the character of the reader, but I have a good feeling the former is correct. The beginning describes "I's" routine, and "I" is bored of it. "I" wants to change, which is a very weird sentence on its own.

This story is a mind experiment, given how weird and unconventional it is. I think that's a super interesting concept on its own merit, but I'm still confused. I didn't think that was Emshwiller's intention, at least I hope it wasn't. I like "mind-experiment" stories like this, but please make it make sense. Not right away, of course, but after you do some thinking and theorizing, everything should make sense. It's like a puzzle. You have the pieces and when you put them together you have that "ah-ha" moment. It's a strong possibility that I'm just ignorant and stupid, but I am still lost about what this story is supposed to make me understand.

There's no majoritarian force in this story unless you count "I" as one. I can see how "I" can be an authority figure, but it's not strong enough or relevant enough to me to absolutely say "I" was. Unless I'm missing what "majoritarian" means, my answer is there is nothing of that in this story. The mind-experiment is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magicians Response

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream Response

The Ocean at the End of the Lane Response